Saturday, September 21, 2013

The time is now – the time to speak up


For a very long time I have been wanting to speak up about suicide.  For a very long time I have been worried about the danger of our population keeping quiet.
Too many people are dying….
Too many families are suffering…
Too many links are being broken….
I do not profess to know, understand or even begin to totally feel what it is like to lose someone to suicide but I do know that it is far too often we are left wondering, grieving, crying, screaming and suffering.
Last week on TV I was inspired by the hairdressers talking of the Caspar programme which is empowering hairdressers with possible communication tools to cope with a client who expresses suicidal thoughts. 

This week on TV I was inspired by a passionate caring volunteer who is running the ‘chat buses’ out of Dunedin enabling youth to talk to someone.

I certainly don’t believe there is ever an easy answer but NZ our statistics are shocking.  We are losing precious fragile human beings and we need to start thinking of ways to help.

Is it time to go more public and visible with suicide discussions?

What can we do?

What can we do as individuals?

What can we do as educators?

What can we do?

No comments:

Post a Comment